For more Information, call:
Promoting the health of Greenlee County residents and improved quality of life through
prevention education, encouraging the reduction of tobacco use, and supporting smoke-free
Over 400,000 people die in America each year of diseases caused by their tobacco-use;
for every one that dies, twenty more suffer with tobacco-related diseases.
In 1995, the Arizona legislature passed House Bill 2275, leading to the implementation
of Proposition 200, known as the Tobacco Tax Initiative. This proposition and the
resulting House Bill, required Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) to establish
a tobacco education and prevention program. This led ADHS to create the Tobacco
Education and Prevention Program (TEPP) as part of their Bureau for Prevention and
Health Promotion. TEPP formed contracts with Arizona county health departments and
Native American tribes to provide tobacco education and prevention programs to reduce
onset of tobacco use by minors, educate the public on the risks of tobacco use,
especially by youth and pregnant women, encourage reduction of tobacco use and promote
smoke-free environments. These entities are known as Local Projects.
Greenlee Helping Overcome Sinister Tobacco or Project GHOST, is the name of Greenlee
County’s Local Project. We provide a variety of free education and prevention services.
- Quit Plans & Referrals, Tips for Quitting, Brochures, Information
- Free Quit Classes
- Community Education - participation in community events, presentations to community
groups focusing on tobacco-related issues. Participate in local coalitions and share
prevention and program information.
- Health Care Provider Training
- Parent Education, as part of existing programs
- School Education –
- Classroom education - Tobacco education & prevention classes in local schools.
- Basic education - Provide basic prevention education through such events as Fire
Prevention Week, Red Ribbon Week, assemblies, etc.
- Youth Coalitions - Provide opportunities in prevention activities, promote healthy
life and attitudes, and involve youth in community.
- Merchant Education – Focus on reducing youth access to tobacco products. Increase
awareness of the law.
- Promoting Smoke-Free Worksites
- Educate about the dangers of Second-Hand Smoke
Greenlee County Tobacco & Chronic Disease Prevention
Greenlee County Health Department
P.O. Box 936
253 Fifth Street
Clifton, AZ 85533
Ph: 928-865-2601, Fax: 928-865-1929
(in the Clifton Health Department)
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday
PO Box 153
Duncan, AZ 85534
(in the Duncan Health Annex Bldg.)
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday - Friday