Smoke-Free Arizona Compliance Checkist
Get ready for May 1, 2007!
Businesses (Public Places and Places of Employment)
The purpose of the Smoke-Free Arizona Act is to protect Arizonans from the harmful
effects of second-hand smoke in enclosed public places and places of employment,
except those that meet exemption criteria.
Remove all indoor ashtrays and smoking receptacles and move all
outdoor ashtrays and smoking receptacles to at least 20 feet away from doors, from
windows capable of being opened, and ventilation systems, unless ashtrays are on
your outdoor patio where you allow smoking.
Post "no smoking" signs at all entrances, with the exception of
emergency exits and door(s) leading out to outdoor patio(s). Signs must be posted
in a conspicuous area visible from the outside of the establishment.
Make sure all "no smoking" signs have the required information:
- International no smoking symbol or the words "no smoking"
- A citation to A.R.S. § 36-601.01
- The telephone number for making complaints (1-877-4-AZNOSMOKE, 1-877-429-6676)
- The website address for making complaints (www.smokefreearizona.org)
Make sure the signs are the appropriate size:
- No smaller than 4"x6" for signs posted at entrances of enclosed public places
and non-vehicle places of employment
- No smaller than 2"x3" for signs posted in vehicle places of employment
Educate all current and prospective employees about the requirements
of the Law (Le. payroll stuffers via inserts, staff meetings, e-mails, break room
posters, etc...). Employees must know what is expected of them.
Prohibit smoking in all non-smoking areas, including enclosed areas
and areas within 20 feet of the entrances (except for patios).
Proprietors may choose to designate patios for smoking that meet the requirements
of A.R.S. § 36-601.01 R9-2-108(A) for smoking. In these cases, ensure that any outdoor
patios are managed so that smoke does not enter into the establishment and other
Guarantee that the property outside of your establishment that is under vour control is managed
as to maintain a smoke-free entrance for customers and employees. This includes
entrances to all doors with the exception of emergency exits and outdoor smoking
Keep Smoke-Free Arizona Hotline (1-877-AZSTOPS) and website (www.smokefreearizona.org) information
handy. Please contact us any time you have a question regarding the new Law!
Checklist - Are you ready?
- Remove ashtrays
- Post "no smoking" signs with required information and of the appropriate size(s)
- Educate employees
- Prohibit smoking in non-smoking areas
- Protect enclosed areas from smoke entering from the outside, including from outdoor
smoking patios, if applicable
- Protect all entrances and entryways from smoke
- Keep Smoke-Free Arizona Program information on hand